Practical Solutions
From Your Hometown Firm
Photo of attorney J. Mark Howell and his staff members

Family Law

Whether you are unmarried parents or married partners undergoing a contested or uncontested break up or divorce, I have a unique understanding of how difficult it can be to end a relationship.

Decatur Divorce Lawyer

I’m attorney Mark Howell, and I’ve earned a reputation as the experienced North Texas divorce lawyer who knows when to peacefully negotiate, objectively mediate or aggressively litigate on your behalf.

For almost two decades, I have compassionately addressed the concerns of the men and women who contact me asking for answers to the endless questions that arise during this situation, such as:

  • I’m a stay-at-home mom. Can I get spousal support before the settlement?
  • Do I have to pay spousal support and child support if I’m unemployed?
  • How can we divide property that we can’t sell due to the economy?
  • What are the grandparent’s rights?

Oftentimes, there are very important matters they are not aware of, so I also ask questions:

  • Do you understand how a SAPCR order may apply to your situation?
  • Do you understand how a QDRO may apply to your situation?

Suits Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR)

When parents separate or a relative must care for the children, a SAPCR court order may be needed to establish custody, visitation, and/or child support. This can be part of a divorce proceeding, a paternity case or if the parent is unable or unwilling to care for the child.

Anyone can file a SAPCR order if they are connected to the child in one of the following ways:

  • Custodian for a minimum of six months
  • Prospective adoptive parent or foster parent
  • Alleged father (paternity must be established)
  • Parent, guardian, conservator or legal representative
  • Close relative (child’s parents have died or are incarcerated)

Decatur Child Custody Lawyer/North Texas Family Law Attorney

A custody battle, paternity test and/or termination of parental rights are just a few of the complex situations that motivate people to contact the law office of Mark Howell.

We have extensive experience resolving all the issues that can be associated with changes to the relationship between partners or parents with children.

If anger turns into violence, we will take immediate measures to ensure your safety by filing emergency protective orders, and refer you to counselors and other professionals who will handle your emotional needs while we handle your legal case.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and once you contact me, I can start guiding you toward it.